Working on a large farm is no small task. To ensure the smooth flow of your daily operations, which is already intensive on its own, you also need to keep all your farm equipment and facilities in top shape.
Between dealing with your self-bunded fuel tank and taking care of your livestock, things can get too overwhelming that safety may be overlooked. These general safety tips will help you stay on top of the different aspects of farming that you’ll have to deal with regularly.
1. Always make sure your livestock are healthy and free from any sickness.
2. Inspect grazed land to make sure there are no sharp objects that can harm you or your livestock.
3. Pregnant animals or those who have just given birth may be more aggressive than usual. Be extra careful around them.
1. Do not overload tractors. Most of them are meant for only one person.
2. Conduct regular maintenance of all farm equipment.
3. Wear standard safety protective gear when working around farm equipment.
4. Make sure all workers are trained on how to handle farm equipment and vehicles, especially in cases of equipment breakdowns.
1. Make sure barriers between work areas are safe and sturdy.
2. Use directional signs around farm equipment and labels on doors and specific area for directions.
3. Cleanliness helps keep your farm safe. Manage weeds, pests, and waste disposal.
4. Keep sharp objects in their proper place after use to avoid accidents and injuries.
Fire Prevention Safety
1. Keep flammable substances separate from everything else.
2. Do not allow anyone to smoke in and around your farm.
3. Maintain electrical and mechanical wiring. Change worn-out wires to prevent electrical fires.
Your farm’s safety requirements depend on how large your farm is and how long you’ve been running it. These tips may seem like the most basic ones, but they are also the most important, especially if you have several workers who depend on your farm for their source of income. Regular safety training will reduce risks and make sure that you and your livestock are kept safe, happy, and healthy.