Drinking Water: A Treatment Process

Posted on by Itzumedia

Drinking waterThe Earth is mostly made up of water. About 71% of the Earth’s surface is covered by water and water from oceans take up about 96% of that. This leaves 4% for humans to consume. This is the reason why despite being surrounded by water, it is considered as a scarce resource.

But not everyone has access to fresh and clean water. That’s why professionals like ashtuck.com have processes to make water from rain and rivers safe for people to use and consume. The end product is the drinking water that flows in the taps of American households.

Steps for treating drinking water

  1. Coagulation and Flocculation

Coagulation and flocculation often go hand in hand and is known as the first step of treatment where a chemical is added to raw water. The dirt particles in the raw water then stick together or coagulate. Then these particles form groups of dirt that stick together to become a bigger group known as a floc.

  1. Sedimentation

Flocs are separated from the water through sedimentation. In this process, the water slowly flows through a sedimentation basin. In this process, the flocs will get stuck at the bottom and be known as sludge. This is then scraped off and is released to dry lagoons while the water moves through the next treatment step.

  1. Filtration

The now “clean” water will pass through compositions of sand, gravel, and charcoal to remove dissolved particles. These particles often come in the form of dust, parasites, and other chemicals that were not included in the sludge.

  1. Disinfection

Lastly, a hint of chlorine is added to serve as a disinfectant before the water is released to the public. This is to make sure that bacteria and viruses are destroyed and won’t cause various kinds of diseases to the public.

Thanks to modern technology and the presence of natural organisms, water flowing throughout the country is safe for consumption. Therefore, it is essential to use it wisely.

About the Author